In 1995 Kazimierz Wierzbicki made his dream come true – he founded a basketball club which later became the symbol of Sopot. For years, thanks to the support of the city and sponsors, the Trefl (later also called Prokom Trefl) team has been achieving a lot at the national and international level. The biggest of them are:
- five championships of Poland (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008),
- three vice-championships of Poland (2002, 2003, 2012),
- two bronze medals (2001, 2014),
- six Polish Cups (2000, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2013),
- FIBA Champions Cup finals (2003),
- two performances in the Top16 Euroleague phase (2004, 2006).
The team returned to its historical name Trefl Sopot before the 2009/10 season and is continuing the great basketball traditions in Pomerania.
Constant battle for medals in the Polish league is just one of club’s goals. The last years only proved that the youth training program brings talents to the first squad of Trefl. In the current Trefl rooster there are players (Łukasz Kolenda, Michał Kolenda, Grzegorz Kulka, Sebastian Walda, Patryk Pułkotycki and Sebastian Rompa) who improved their skills in Trefl’s second team. In the past Trefl Sopot was represented by many entitled Polish players, including: Adam Wójcik, Andrzej Pluta, Tomasz Jankowski, Piotr Szybilski, Michał Hlebowicki, Łukasz Koszarek, Filip Dylewicz, Marcin Stefański and Adam Waczyński. This season Paweł Leończyk is embodying the Polish top.